Denver and Lone Tree, Colorado
Tumescent and Ultrasound-Assisted Techniques
Dr. David Broadway is a quadruple board-certified plastic surgeon in Denver, Colorado. While performing liposuction procedures, he uses state-of-the-art techniques to assure his patients they are receiving the best possible treatment available today in the field of cosmetic surgery.
Tumescent and ultrasound assisted techniques have advanced liposuction procedures to a new level. What are these techniques and what sets them apart from one another?
Tumescent technique is a relatively new method of liposuction that enables surgeons to:
- Reduce the amount of blood lost during liposuction procedures.
- Minimize the post-operative side effects of swelling and bruising.
The results of this technique can be seen immediately after surgery, although the best results are visible after approximately three weeks, when swelling has subsided.
How does it work?
Tumescent technique works by injecting a large amount of liquid containing Epinephrine, Lidocaine and saline into the areas of the body which contain excess fat. This process causes the fat to swell and become firm and separates the tissues. The result allows the cannula (a stainless steel, hollow tube inserted into the incision to suction fat) to travel through the fatty tissue easier.
Where is it used?
Although the tumescent technique can be used anywhere liposuction is to be performed, it is commonly used on the face, neck, arms, calves and ankles.
What are the risks?
- Pulmonary edema (collection of fluid in the lungs) if too much fluid is injected.
- Lidocaine toxicity if too much Lidocaine is injected into the body.
During ultrasound assisted liposuction, a special cannula is used that produces ultrasonic energy. The energy heats the fat and ruptures fat cell walls causing the fat to liquefy. The fat is then removed through traditional liposuction.
This technique improves ease and effectiveness in fibrous areas and is often used to enhance precision during liposuction. There is even less bleeding than in the Tumescent technique.
Where is it used?
- Fibrous areas
- Upper Back
- Upper chest for males with enlarged breasts (see gynecomastia)
- Body recontouring
- Face and neck surgery
What are the risks?
Long-term effects of ultrasound use are not yet known. This type of procedure takes longer than traditional liposuction surgery and drains may need to be left in the incisions for a few days after surgery.
To greatly reduce the possibility of risk during a plastic surgery procedure it is important to research your surgeon’s history. Choose a surgeon that is board-certified and has extensive experience in your particular procedure.
cosmetic surgeon Dr. David Broadway believes the health and safety of his plastic surgery patients comes before all else. Please contact liposuction expert at the Broadway Center for Plastic Surgery today to schedule your initial consultation.
- About Us
- Our Blog
- Patient Testimonials
- Video Center
- Contact Us
Dr. Broadway has been featured on:
- Before & After Gallery
- Extreme Makeover
- Body Procedures
- Body Sculpting
- VASER Hi Definition Liposculpture
- Tummy Tuck
- Skin Tightening Lasers
- Vaser Technology
- Mommy Makeover
- Fat Transfer
- Buttock Augmentation
- Varicose Veins
- Cellulaze Treatment
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Enlargement Details
- Breast Enlargement Implants
- Option for Breast Enlargement Consultations
- Breast Enlargement Risks
- Breast Enlargement Surgery
- Expectations After Breast Augmentation Surgery
- Breast Lift
- Breast Liposculpture
- Benefits of Removing & Replacing Saline to Gel
- Sientra Breast Implant Warranty
- VASER Hi-Def Breast
- Vectra 3D Breast Imaging
- Female Breast Fat Transfer Instead of Breast Implants
- Inverted Nipples
- Breast Augmentation Recovery: Week Two and Beyond
- When Breast Implants Need Repositioning
- Facial Enhancement
- Skin Treatments
- Plastic Surgery for Men
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Body Contouring Questions
- Breast Augmentation Questions
- Facial Rejuvenation Questions
- High Speed Laser Hair Reduction Questions
- Treatment of Veins and Redness Questions
- Liposuction Questions
- Micro Laser Peel Questions
- Photo Rejuvenation Laser Questions
- Pro Fractional Laser Questions
- Skin Care Questions
- Skin Tightening Laser Questions
- SmartLipo™ Questions
- BOTOX® Questions
- Botox® Cosmetic Questions
- Patient Financing
- Traveling Patients
- Map and Directions
- Breast Implant Removal